WW II Watchtower Story

Members of the Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 44, called Flotilla 1-3 during World War II, manned the lookout tower in Ormond by the Sea around the clock as they searched the coast for German submarines. Such “watchtowers” were built up and down the eastern coast of the United States to guard against invasions. By May of 1942 180 vessels had been sunk. The Auxiliary responded to aid the sinking vessels and rescued those who were forced to abandon. At times people on the beach could see these U-boat engagements.

Continue Reading